Most of the people suffer from back pain or 90 % of Indian suffering from back pain. It is second most disease after common cold. Back pain is not disease, it is symptom may occur from different process.
CAUSES FOR BACK PAIN:
- Common cause for back pain is injury to the muscles ,bones nerves of the spine.
- Degeneration of the vertebral bones, discs known as lumbar spondylosis. Spondylosis occurs due to loosing moisture in central portion of the disc known as nucleus pulposum.
- Disc herniation:nerve root syndromes are those that produce nerve compression due to herniation / bulging of the disc developed due to degeneration, or over strain or due to injury. Disc prolapsed pushes against the nerve root.
- Infections of the spine ex osteomylitis.
- Cauda equine syndrome: It is a medical emergency where the spinal cord is directly compressed. This causes possible loss of sensation, paralysis, and bladder dysfunction.
- Congenital anomalies ex scoliosis, defect in spine curvature, spina bifida.
- ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS.
- Tumours of the Spine
RISK FACTORS FOR BACK PAIN
- Age above 50 yrs ,as age advances degeneration of discs will be there, causes back pain.
- People who do not exercise.
- Over strain like lifting wts, bending , sitting for long hours.
- Over Weight or Obesity.
- People who do not maintain proper posture in their daily activities.
- People who do not take proper diet like low calcium low vitamin-D.
- Women after child birth/ pregnancy.
SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS OF BACK PAIN
- Pain in lower portion of the spine.
- Pain may radiate down the front back of the leg due herniated disc. This condition called as sciatica pain. This condition called as radiculopathy.
- Numbness in leg.
- In severe compression of spinal cord /spinal canal stenosis neurological symptoms seen this condition called as myelopathy.
- Myelopathy we see paralysis of the limb, bladder dysfunction leads to incontinence of urine and stool.
- Difficulty in walking.
MANAGEMENT IN CHRONIC BACK PAIN
- Avoid overstrain like lifting weights, bending forward.
- Maintaning good posture during daily activities.
- Avoid travelling for long distances.
- Wearing lumbo sacral belt which gives support to the back.
- Applying hot cool pads over the pain area.
- Taking proper diet rich in vitamin sd, calcium ,vitamin b12 , omega 3 fatty acids.